The Mayoral Forum held its first meeting of the year at the Commodore Hotel on Friday 24 February. Significant agenda items are summarised on this page.
The Mayoral Forum’s Plan for Canterbury
The Forum confirmed key priorities and provided final feedback on the draft Plan, noting general support.
Greater Christchurch Partnership
Jim Palmer, Chair Greater Christchurch Partnership, joined the meeting to speak to Whakawhanake Kāinga Komiti’s (Urban Growth Partnership) Greater Christchurch Spatial Plan and Mass Rapid Transit Plan.
Canterbury Water Management Strategy update
Peter Scott provided an update on the Canterbury Water Management Strategy, noting that the zone committee and regional planning committee structure is undergoing evaluation to ensure it continues to provide value. Members discussed issues around gravel in rivers in the region.
Climate Change Action Planning Group update and terms of reference
Dan Gordon provided an update on the Group’s first meeting and noted changes to the draft terms of reference. The terms of reference were approved by the Forum.
Chatham Islands standing invitation
The Forum agreed to support extending a standing invitation to the Chatham Islands Mayor to attend Canterbury Mayoral Forum meetings.
Other agenda items included
- Future for Local Government submission
- Three waters reform
- An update from the Regional Public Service Commissioner
- Chief Executives Forum report.
- The Corporate and Operations Forums meet on 13 March
- The Communications & Engagement and Policy Forums meet on 17 March
- The Economic Development Forum meets on 31 March
- The Chief Executives Forum meets on 1 May
- The Mayoral Forum meets on 2 June.