The Mayoral Forum met at Peppers Clearwater Resort on 26 August. Significant agenda items are summarised on this page.
Resource Management reform
Liz Moncrieff and Jennifer Hutcheon from the Ministry for the Environment joined the meeting. Liz provided an update on RM reform, noting the Wai 2358 claim before the Waitangi Tribunal which will inform who is identified as Māori in the legislation. Members discussed their views on participating in the model region project, including the desire for Canterbury to lead in this space, strong concerns around council resourcing, and the desire for a sub-regional approach.
Regional Public Service Commissioner update
Dianne McDermott, Acting Regional Public Service Commissioner, joined the meeting to provide an update on the Regional Leadership Group and its work on identifying priorities for the public service.
Coordinating regional economic development
The Forum received an update on the coordination of regional economic development, and agreed to write a letter of support for Kaikōura District Council’s South Bay Harbour business case.
Reflections on the 2019–2022 term
Members reflected on the triennium, noting: fellowship and collegiality, collaboration, and the opportunity to make meaningful change as leaders of Canterbury. Outgoing members gave valedictory speeches.
Other agenda items included
- Triennium agreement and approach to briefing the incoming Forum following local government elections
- Engagement with Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand
- Education and training governance
- Climate Change Steering Group update
- Canterbury Water Management Strategy update
- Chief Executives Forum report.
- The Corporate and Operations Forums meet on 19 September
- The Policy Forum meets on 30 September
- The Chief Executives Forum meets on 31 October
- The Mayoral Forum meets on 25 November.