The Mayoral Forum met at the Commodore Hotel on 24 November. Significant agenda items are summarised on this page.
Engaging with the new government
The Mayoral Forum held a workshop to look at how it would engage with the new government, and prepare for possible discussions with ministers next year on regional/city deals. It will consider the outputs of the workshop at the February meeting. This includes revisiting some of the priorities in the Plan for Canterbury and considering how it will approach briefing the new government.
Canterbury Climate Partnership Plan
The Forum received an update on the development of the Partnership Plan and agreed that regional climate change actions would be funded collectively (noting this is subject to individual councils’ LTP decisions). Further work on the actions and costings will now be undertaken by the Climate Change Working Group
Future for local government report recommendations
Members reviewed the results of a survey on levels of agreement with the recommendations in the Future for Local Government Review final report. Members agreed to pause any further work until LGNZ had completed its process on this topic.
Other agenda items included
- An update from the Regional Public Service Commissioner
- A report from the Chief Executives Forum on the activities of the regional forums
- An update on the Canterbury Water Management Strategy.
- The Communications and Engagement Forum meets on 8 December
- The Corporate and Operations Forums meet on 11 December
- The Policy Forum meets on 15 December
- The Chief Executives Forum meets on 29 January
- The Mayoral Forum meets on 23 February.