The Mayoral Forum met on 28 May 2021.
Significant agenda items are summarised on this page. View the full agenda.
The Essential Freshwater Steering Committee provided an update and members agreed to invite Ministers Parker and O’Connor to attend the next Mayoral Forum dinner to discuss freshwater issues.
Three waters service delivery review
An update was provided on the reform of three waters service delivery, including information expected from DIA in early June and LGNZ’s work with DIA. Members discussed issues including the case for change, tranche 2 funding possibilities, concern about lack of alternative models and budget and regulatory risk going forward.
CREDS update and mobile blackspot advocacy
The Forum heard updates on CREDS workstreams and reviewed the final report from the Mobile Blackspot project, which mapped blackspots on Canterbury state highways. Members agreed to send advocacy letters to the Minister for Digital Communications, Crown Infrastructure Partners, and to telecommunication companies seeking resolution of the top ten blackspots.
Other agenda items included
- an update from the Climate Change Steering Group, including the intention to submit on the National Emissions Reduction Plan and the National Adaptation Plan later in the year
- an update on the Canterbury Biodiversity Champions
- an update on the Canterbury Water Management Strategy
- an update on Budget 2021, including discussion of the Regional Strategic Partnership Fund from MBIE
- an update from the Chief Executives Forum.