Held on 21 January 2019 and hosted by Selwyn District Council at the new West Melton Community and Recreation Centre, which opened on 7 December 2018.
Key agenda items
- Biodiversity strategy for Canterbury region – endorsing a draft paper for discussion by the Canterbury Mayoral Forum in February.
- Interim advice from the Canterbury Water Management Strategy ‘Fit for the Future’ project. This included draft targets for 2025 and 2030, initial advice on an implementation programme for the new interim targets, and how strategic and implementation questions identified by the project could be addressed. Final advice on the ‘Fit for the Future’ project will be received by Chief Executives, prior to consideration by the Mayoral Forum, in May 2019.
- A proposal for a regional climate change governance-level ‘think tank’ to support the work of councils and stay abreast of central government developments in the climate change space. This will be discussed further with the Mayoral Forum in February.
- Initial conversations on how the next iteration of the Canterbury Regional Economic Development Strategy (CREDS) might be developed, for further discussion with the Mayoral Forum throughout 2019.
- Options for collaborative resourcing of regional activities undertaken by Canterbury Regional Forums and working groups.
- Quarterly updates on the Canterbury Water Management Strategy, implementation of the three-year work programme and CREDS projects, and Provincial Growth Fund applications from Canterbury.
- The Mayoral Forum meets in Christchurch on 31 January – 1 February 2019.
- The Chief Executives Forum next meets on 6 May 2019.